Homer's Travels: Hiking Ventura County - The Beginning

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Hiking Ventura County - The Beginning

After writing yesterday's post about Geocaching, I decided that it was time to go out and seriously start hiking again. I googled Ventura Hikes and found a link for the local newspaper, the Ventura County Star. The Star has a list of 61 hikes in Ventura County (and some in nearby Santa Barbara County). I printed out the descriptions and sorted them by Length and Difficulty. The hikes vary from 2.5 miles up to 20 miles. My plan is to try to do one a week (or at least one every two weeks) starting with the shortest and easiest working my way up to the longest and most strenuous. I doubt I'll be able to do all of them but it won't be for a lack of trying - I hope. I would have started today but a rare event is happening this weekend - it is raining. Before this weekend, we had about 0.79 inches of rain since October. This weekend we've had 1.83 inches and it is still drizzling.

My plan is to start this Friday which is my off day. I should be able to do the first 2.6 mile hike in the morning. The hike will be the Sage Ranch Park hike located in the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. I'll take my camera and let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment